Friday, May 15, 2009

Revisit: Easy Web Sites

Previously I created a post for folks who have small businesses and want to create a web site (click here to see it). I can now prove that you can create one for $15/year using WordPress. I created this one: http://www.walkathonguide.com. The site is free, but having it's own URL instead of http://www.walkathonguide.wordpress.com costs $15.

If you'd rather not have the home page be a blog, you can create another page, then configure your blog to use it as as Home.

I chose WordPress over Blogger because I didn't see an easy way to add pages with Blogger.

WordPress gives you about a dozen themes (looks) to choose from. For an extra $15/year they allow you to use a custom theme and customize your blog in various other ways.

One caveat - you don't get an email address with this. So if you need an email address to go with your url, like I have with lee@garverick.biz, then this won't work.

I'll be blogging more about this project as I go, from a microbusiness as well as a technology standpoint. If you know someone planning a walkathon, please send them my way! There will be more and more useful stuff and information there, just for walkathons.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hi Lee, thanks for the comments on my video...I've been away from my blog most of the summer, I'm sorry I just got back to you...you may use it for your guide...thanks so much again for the kind words :)